Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and what better way to celebrate this holiday than making some sweet treats for your Sweetheart, your Gals (for Galantine’s Day) or for yourself! When I was pregnant with my Son, the thing I craved the most was strawberry shortcake! Seriously… I would go over to my Parents’ house every weekend and my Dad would make me fresh, homemade strawberry shortcake… literally every weekend (THANKS DAD)! My Husband would always stop by the grocery store on the way home from work and pick me up the Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars to fulfill this craving. So, it is safe to say, it has become definitely one of my favorite desserts.
For this recipe, I wanted to take a twist on the traditional strawberry shortcake and make what I like to call the Strawberry Shortcake Scone! The idea came to me when I was shopping with my Mom in Williams Sonoma and we came across these adorable rose-shaped molds that they sell. Next to them, was a display of Valentine’s Day décor and cooking utensils! I was inspired, I mean it’s hard to NOT walk into a Williams Sonoma and hope to be the next Martha Stewart… but maybe that’s just me. I immediately went to work and researched what I should place in these adorable rose molds!
I researched sweet bread, cupcakes, pound cake and then I went down the Pinterest rabbit hole and it led me back to strawberry shortcake. I asked myself, how could I make mini-strawberry shortcakes that would look great in my molds and VOILA… the Strawberry Shortcake Scone was born! Before we begin, I want you all to know that I also made a chocolate cake when I made these and made my Husband, Dad & Mom try it; they ALL said that the scone was their favorite and ALL of them were gone by the end of the night (even my Son scarfed his down). Drum roll please…. here is the Luv Ashland Strawberry Shortcake Scone!
Strawberry Shortcake Scones
Serving: 7-8 Scones (Depending on the mold you choose)
- Scone Ingredients
- 2 Cups of Cake Flour
- ½ Tablespoon of Baking Powder
- 4 Tablespoons of Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon of Salt
- 7 Tablespoons of Butter
- 12 Strawberries
- ¾ cup of half-and-half
- Glaze Ingredients
- ¼ cup of half-and-half
- 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla
- 3 Cups of Powdered Sugar
- In a large mixing bowl mix cake flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut Butter into cubes and add to flour mixture. Mix with hand mixer or with your hands. Keep mixing until thick.
- Hull and dice out strawberries. Add strawberries to flour mixture.
- Add in half-and-half and mix until it thickens.
- Spoon in mixture into molds. OR if you do not have a mold you can mix it more until the mixture forms into dough and cut into triangles and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake in oven for 16 minutes.
- While you are waiting for the scones to bake, you can start making the glaze.
- In a bowl, mix together half-and-half, powdered sugar and vanilla until it thickens.
- Once scones are finished baking, make sure you let them cool completely. (If you do not let them cool completely, the glaze will seep into the scone and disappear.)
- Once cooled, dip each scone into the glaze and place on serving dish.
- Serve and Enjoy!
“Life is short. Eat dessert first.” – Jacques Torres