To continue our 5 Gourmet Summer Hot Dog Recipes Series, we decided to do an easier recipe but still with that gourmet twist! To recap, this series was inspired by adding a twist to the mundane summer dinner staple, the hot dog and bring some excitement back into it. My Mom is actually the person who recommended this food pairing because she thought the taste of the caramelized onions and gruyere would make a great combo and, well, it did! Allow us to introduce you to our Caramelized Onions with Gruyere Cheese Hot Dog.
Caramelized Onions with Gruyere Cheese Hot Dog Recipe
- 4 Brioche Buns
- 4 Hot Dogs
- 1 large yellow onion, julienned.
- 2 Cups of Gruyere cheese shaved
- 1 Tablespoon Spicy Brown Mustard
- 4 Slices of Bacon
- 1 Tablespoon of Minced Garlic
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Cook all the bacon. Once cooked, cut bacon into bits. Leave the bacon fat in the pan. (You will use the bacon fat to caramelize the onions.)
- Place the julienned onions in pan with bacon fat and cook on high for 10 minutes mixing periodically. After 10 minutes add in minced garlic and cook until browned.
- Grill your hot dogs, place in bun. Add the shaved gruyere cheese and onions. Drizzle spicy brown mustard and sprinkle bacon bits. ENJOY!
Below are the other recipes from our 5 part series of Gourmet Summer Hot Dog Recipes:
- 5 Gourmet Summer Hot Dog Recipe Series
- Mexican Street Corn Hot Dog
- Kimchi Hot Dog
- Jalapeño Popper Hot Dog
- Hawaiian Hot Dog
As always, if you try this recipe, I would love to hear what you think about it. Did you add to it? Let me know in the comments.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” – Virginia Wolf