October is tomorrow and we are excited to have Donovan’s first Halloween this year. I wanted to commemorate his first Halloween with a craft that we ended up gifting to my Mom. This craft was so easy and cheap to do and ended up being something my Mom adored and hung up immediately in her house. Now, she wants us to create her one for every single holiday, so expect this to turn into a DIY crafting holiday series…. Whew!
You can recreate this DIY craft in 7 easy steps! All you will need is:
- 3 small canvases
- Non-toxic and water based paint
- (We took the black and white to make the gray for Frankenstein’s bolts – to quote my Sister, “we took it back to Kindergarten!”)
- Black Large Ribbon
- Staple Gun
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue
- Dark Glitter Glue
- Step 1: Paint the 3 canvases and let dry.
- Step 2: Paint the scary tree on the orange canvas. (Seriously, it doesn’t have to be perfect, just sketch out with a pencil and paint over it. Remember this is a homemade gift and mistakes make art.)
- Step 3: Draw out the spider web with the glitter glue as well as the “BOO!” and let dry.
- Step 4: This is where you need to make sure your little one is in a good mood and ready to get a little dirty. I did need the help of my Sister to make this happen, as she held my Son and I used his feet and hands to make the imprints. Honestly, we messed up twice and had to paint over it and wait for it to dry all over again… with that being said, do not worry about it if you mess up. One important tip I would give you would be to bring the canvas to your baby, instead of the baby to the canvas. Then, let dry.
- Step 5: Paint the bolts on Frankenstein’s head.
- Step 6: Warm up that glue gun and add those googly-eyes.
- Step 7: Your going to want to make sure all three canvases are completely dry so that you can lay them on their face on a clean surface and attach the ribbon. Measure out the space you want and start stapling the ribbon on the wood surface. Once everything is stapled, you can then hang your masterpiece!
Stay tuned for more holiday DIY footprint crafts!
“In crafting there are no mistakes, just unique creations.” Anonymous
WE ARE A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES.